[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/db/dbal.php on line 110: Undefined array key "cached"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/db/dbal.php on line 111: Undefined array key "normal"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/db/dbal.php on line 112: Undefined array key "total"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 885: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 885: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3391: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3393: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3394: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3395: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
Cabrillo College Linux Classes • View topic - copy MBR

copy MBR

UNIX/Linux Installation & Configuration

copy MBR

Postby julio rivas on Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:18 pm

HI,
I find that the solution for some of the problems could be to copy a master boot on the system, but I'm not really sure on how to do this ,

I remember something was mentioned on class so I'm reviewing the power points.
didn't see any on the how to.
any help apreciayed
julio.
julio rivas

Re: copy MBR

Postby Jonathan Simms on Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:46 pm

Hey Julio,

you need to boot off of the rescue floppy then,
mount /dev/fd0 /mnt
cd /mnt
dd if=mbr of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1
cd ..
umount /mnt
init 6 # to reboot
Jonathan Simms

Postby julio rivas on Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:36 pm

hi
hey, jonathan,
it works thanks a lot.
julio rivas

Postby jeff clark on Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:03 pm

Praise the lard, it worked! So the MBR of /dev/sda was at fault - but why? A number of us banged our heads against this problem in the CTC today. We concluded that stage2 wasn't being loaded properly, and compared the xxd output of the trouble MBR (/dev/sda) to the backup mbr file we'd created before starting the trouble exercise, but the two looked exactly the same. What was xxd hiding from us?
"In America anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
jeff clark

Postby Jonathan Simms on Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:23 pm

Which trouble was this? I was able to solve all of the booting problems and so far up to number 3 of rooting problems so if anyone has any questions I'll try and help. I'm still working on the last 6.
Jonathan Simms

Postby jeff clark on Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:06 am

Sorry, #4 of booting problems (1, 4).
jeff clark

Return to CIS 191A - Fall 2008