[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/db/dbal.php on line 110: Undefined array key "cached"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/db/dbal.php on line 111: Undefined array key "normal"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/db/dbal.php on line 112: Undefined array key "total"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 885: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 885: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3391: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3393: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3394: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3395: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
Cabrillo College Linux Classes • View topic - Install the lastest kernel

Install the lastest kernel

UNIX/Linux Installation & Configuration

Install the lastest kernel

Postby Tim Childers on Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:42 pm

I there a slide or a tip on how to install the lastest kernel. And how to put it side by side?
Tim Childers

Re: Install the lastest kernel

Postby Rich Simms on Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:59 pm

See the kernel update section in Lesson 6 - Rich
Rich Simms
Site Admin

Postby Tim Childers on Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:58 am

Thanks, But where do I get the new kernel?
Tim Childers

Postby Rich Simms on Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:40 am

If you can access the Internet then the fastest way would be to do what is on slide 122:

yum install kernel

- Rich
Rich Simms
Site Admin

Postby Tim Childers on Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:07 pm

I get th e folowing error when I try to install the new kernel
" IOError:<urlopen error (110, Connection timed out)"
"cannot fine a valid baseurl for repo: bas"

Why can't i connect to the mirror?
I am can get out to the web.
Tim Childers

backup kernel?

Postby Leif Husman on Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:07 pm

You told us to back up the old kernel in case the new one didn't work, but the slides seem to imply that the new one lays next to the old one and you're given an option of which one to use. Do we need to back-up the old kernel with the yum install?

rK
Leif Husman

Postby Rich Simms on Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:24 pm

Nope ... [b]yum install kernel[/b] is sufficient. The key point here is to not uninstall the old kernel but to leave it intact as a separate boot option. You are not backing it up, you just are not deleting it in case you need to quickly go back to it.

Anyone else running into the problem Tim is having? I cannot duplicate it on my systems.
Rich Simms
Site Admin

Return to CIS 191A - Fall 2008