[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/db/dbal.php on line 110: Undefined array key "cached"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/db/dbal.php on line 111: Undefined array key "normal"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/db/dbal.php on line 112: Undefined array key "total"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 885: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 885: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3391: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3393: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3394: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3395: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
Cabrillo College Linux Classes • View topic - Regarding VMWare possible uses

Regarding VMWare possible uses

UNIX/Linux Installation & Configuration

Regarding VMWare possible uses

Postby Noah Scales on Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:19 pm

Hi Rich

I'm wondering if, on the VMWare station in the CTC, there is any security risk introduced by creating a new VM and setting network connections to NAT (which seems to work without introducing IP conflicts or running in "bubbles" troubles).

BTW, regarding the VM's configured on that machine, Chris and I were using the system, Chris removed the existing VM tabs, and I put them back before logging off, but I'm wondering if there's any issue with doing that. If so, let me know if I can correct it for you. Otherwise, I suspect the VMs are fine and will work (or not work) as expected.

I'm also wondering about the potential of VMWare as an educational tool this semester. How difficult is it to configure multiple vm's to share a single virtual network, without upsetting the host's network settings?

-Noah
Noah Scales

Re: Regarding VMWare possible uses

Postby Rich Simms on Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:24 pm

Hi Noah,

1) There is always a security risk when an uncontrolled PC is added to a network. However it may not be any different than a student who brings their own notebook computer into the CTC and connects to the Cabrillo network. It would be good to ask Barb about this to see what security measures are in place there.

2) Its OK either way. Removing the tabs and/or inventory pane (under the View menu) makes it a little cleaner and less busy looking. New users may like seeing the available VM's until they are more comfortable with the product.

3) It is very possible. For example, in the past I have recreated Room 2504 on a single Windows 2003 server at home. At the time I was using MS Virtual Server because the VMware product was still quite expensive. You can have multiple virtual networks between VM's and even have one VM serve as a router (I replicated nosmo in the room 2501 closet as a Linux VM) to the outside world. For completeness I added a virtual Snickers (Windows Domain Controller). See: [url]http://simms-teach.com/howtos/122-Virtual%20Lab.pdf[/url] for some possibilities. Since that time I have moved over to using VMware Server.

- Rich
Rich Simms
Site Admin

Re: Regarding VMWare possible uses

Postby Noah Scales on Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:08 pm

Hi, Rich. Thanks for the response. I mentioned the security issues to one of the techs, Pam, who will bring it up to Barb. Thanks for the link to the PDF.

Woah! That's more networking than I'm used to, for sure. Looks like a great way to learn networking and admin skills.

-Noah
Noah Scales

Return to CIS 191A - Fall 2008