[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/db/dbal.php on line 110: Undefined array key "cached"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/db/dbal.php on line 111: Undefined array key "normal"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/db/dbal.php on line 112: Undefined array key "total"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 885: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 885: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3391: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3393: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3394: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3395: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
Cabrillo College Linux Classes • View topic - Are comments allowed in a cron file?

Are comments allowed in a cron file?

UNIX/Linux System Administration

Are comments allowed in a cron file?

Postby Hilde Bell on Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:47 pm

Read the subject. I was just wondering, so I can keep my cron jobs straight.
Hilde
.......__o
.......\<,
....( )/ ( )
Hilde Bell

Re: Are comments allowed in a cron file?

Postby Joe Bobisuthi on Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:50 pm

you could always make a copy of them, and put the comments there. That's what I did when I was messing around with them.
Joe Bobisuthi

Postby marcromansky on Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:48 pm

off the top of my head, I think the # is the delimeter for a comment. Comments are DEFINATELY OK and necessary.

When you have an ERP system down and know that cron jobs run that have dependancies on other cron jobs, you want to be able to look at a description of the job rather than having to figure it out. many jobs look exactly the same except for the locations of some commands, so having clear comments can save a horrible catastrophe
marcromansky

Postby marcromansky on Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:51 pm

I don't think I was as clear as I could have been. When you have cron job dependencies, and a system is down you may have to comment out jobs so they don't run until that down system is up. having commentted descriptions helps find them faster so they don't fire off while you are trying to figure out which one to comment out.

[quote="marcromansky"]off the top of my head, I think the # is the delimeter for a comment. Comments are DEFINATELY OK and necessary.

When you have an ERP system down and know that cron jobs run that have dependancies on other cron jobs, you want to be able to look at a description of the job rather than having to figure it out. many jobs look exactly the same except for the locations of some commands, so having clear comments can save a horrible catastrophe[/quote]
marcromansky

Postby Leif Husman on Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:03 pm

I put:
# minute day weekday etc.
so I could see what all the numbers meant and it worked just fine.

rK
Leif Husman

Return to CIS 191B - Fall 2008