[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/db/dbal.php on line 110: Undefined array key "cached"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/db/dbal.php on line 111: Undefined array key "normal"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/db/dbal.php on line 112: Undefined array key "total"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 885: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 885: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3391: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3393: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3394: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3395: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
Cabrillo College Linux Classes • View topic - Lab work from home

Lab work from home

UNIX/Linux System Administration

Lab work from home

Postby Dennis Sanchez on Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:42 am

Hi all.

I installed vmware server and ubuntu successfully at home. My question is, is that all I need to do the lab work from home now? Or I need to install another linux operating system other than ubuntu?

Also how do I open a terminal in ubuntu? (in the graphics mode). It was rather easy to do it in Red hat 9 but I had a tough time looking for a terminal the other day.

Thanks a lot!
Dennis
Dennis Sanchez

Re: Lab work from home

Postby Rich Simms on Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:39 am

Hi Dennis,

Good job setting up VMware. I recommend you get the CentOS 5 Benji VM from one of the CIS Lab or CTC systems and copy it to your home system. You can use that VM to do the lab assignments on.

- Rich
Rich Simms
Site Admin

Postby Dennis Sanchez on Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:48 pm

So I don't do any CentOS 5 downloading from the web, right? instead go to the lab?

And I would need to buy a pen drive for that, right?

Thanks a lot Rich.
Dennis Sanchez

Postby Rich Simms on Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:01 pm

Yes, think of the Benji VM as a complete computer with the CentOS OS already installed. Benji is closing in on 4GB so I would recommend getting an 8GB stick to make sure you have enough room to hold it.

- Rich
Rich Simms
Site Admin

terminal on ubuntu

Postby Leif Husman on Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:36 am

I had a hard time with ubuntu as well. The terminal is under applications -> accessories. I would recommend right-clicking on it and putting a link on the desktop.

I have been doing my labs at home and Rich says that the Benji vm should be able to do everything. I have it on a 4gb pen drive and it's coming up just fine. If you have an internet connection you can ssh right into opus.

rK
Leif Husman

Re: terminal on ubuntu

Postby marcromansky on Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:11 am

Sorry if this is a dumb question, does that mean you are ssh ing to opus and running vmware server from there, loading the vm from you local pen drive?

[quote="Leif Husman"]I had a hard time with ubuntu as well. The terminal is under applications -> accessories. I would recommend right-clicking on it and putting a link on the desktop.

I have been doing my labs at home and Rich says that the Benji vm should be able to do everything. I have it on a 4gb pen drive and it's coming up just fine. If you have an internet connection you can ssh right into opus.

rK[/quote]
marcromansky

Postby Jonathan Simms on Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:08 pm

Marc,

You run the vm, in this case Benji, entirely on your local machine using VMWare server on your local machine. You then concatenate the requested information to complete the Lab into a textfile; the next step is to then use scp (secure copy) to copy your homework, the textfile, to opus. All of this will be done in the Benji vm: complete lab, compile lab results, use scp to copy lab to opus.

Jonathan
Jonathan Simms

Postby marcromansky on Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:35 pm

Thanks for spelling it out. That makes a lot more sense than what I thought you had said (I thought you were saying we should remote connect to the wmware server than load the benji vitual machine from your thumb drive). I managed to get vmware server2.0 running today, which was no small feat since I didnt' know exactly what it was supposed to do. I will post some of the gotchas that I ran into, most of which were proxy / certificate related.

marc

[quote="Jonathan Simms"]Marc,

You run the vm, in this case Benji, entirely on your local machine using VMWare server on your local machine. You then concatenate the requested information to complete the Lab into a textfile; the next step is to then use scp (secure copy) to copy your homework, the textfile, to opus. All of this will be done in the Benji vm: complete lab, compile lab results, use scp to copy lab to opus.

Jonathan[/quote]
marcromansky

Postby Dennis Sanchez on Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:03 am

Thanks Leif! I'll get to Ubuntu when I have a chance.

Today I went to CTC and Noah helped me install Benji on my pen drive, thanks a lot again Noah!

So I now have Benji on my local machine since I copied it from the pen drive. I am all set now! I don't know how to start now though lol. I guess I'll just enter some commands...
Dennis Sanchez

Return to CIS 191B - Fall 2008