[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/db/dbal.php on line 110: Undefined array key "cached"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/db/dbal.php on line 111: Undefined array key "normal"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/db/dbal.php on line 112: Undefined array key "total"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 885: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 885: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3391: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3393: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3394: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3395: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
Cabrillo College Linux Classes • View topic - extracting files with cpio

extracting files with cpio

UNIX/Linux System Administration

extracting files with cpio

Postby Hilde Bell on Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:03 am

I've tried the command

cpio -vidumB < /tmp/level-7.bak >> lab09

several times now. It tells me that the leading / is removed from the files, but it doesn't put anything on my lab09. In fact, when I cat lab09 the previous line I "echoed" into it is gone. What's supposed to happen? I did a long listing of /tmp/level-7.bak and put that in the lab09 file.
Hilde
.......__o
.......\<,
....( )/ ( )
Hilde Bell

Re: extracting files with cpio

Postby Tim Childers on Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:34 pm

How did you create your backup file?
I there anything in your back file?
Tim Childers

Postby Hilde Bell on Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:15 pm

Thanks for replying.
Everything seems to be there. The output of the command looks similar to the output on the ppt slides from lesson 11. Is this output the one that should be redirected to append my lab09 file? Also, the files I'm backing up with cpio are the ones that are 7 days old. If this Benji was reset to snapshot and I only made a quick gimli account, how will that affect the files that were backed up?
Hilde
.......__o
.......\<,
....( )/ ( )
Hilde Bell

Postby Hilde Bell on Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:56 pm

I don't understand how cpio can extract something and that something be redirected from standard out into a file. Shouldn't what we put into the lab09 file be a listing like the output using the -vitB options?
Sorry if you went over this in class, but I was sick last Tuesday, so I didn't make it in.

Thanks,
Hilde
.......__o
.......\<,
....( )/ ( )
Hilde Bell

Postby Rich Simms on Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:56 pm

Hi Hilde,

I had a mistake in the first version of the lab I published. To capture the output from step 9 properly it now reads:

9. Record your work to turn in:
echo “cpio files backed up” >> /root/lab09
cpio -vitB < /tmp/level-7.bak >> /root/lab09

If you are using the previous version of the lab I'll take whatever output went there using the earlier instructions.

If you are moving around the directories a lot you may want to always reference your lab09 with the absolute path.

- Rich
Rich Simms
Site Admin

Postby Hilde Bell on Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:28 pm

Thanks Rich,
I already turned in the lab using the -vitB options. This output is at the end of my lab09 file,and I echoed a couple of lines explaining what I did.
Hilde
.......__o
.......\<,
....( )/ ( )
Hilde Bell

Return to CIS 191B - Fall 2008