[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/db/dbal.php on line 110: Undefined array key "cached"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/db/dbal.php on line 111: Undefined array key "normal"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/db/dbal.php on line 112: Undefined array key "total"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 885: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 885: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3391: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3393: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3394: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3395: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
Cabrillo College Linux Classes • View topic - lab 4 routing table

lab 4 routing table

UNIX/Linux Network Administration

lab 4 routing table

Postby Kayla Smith on Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:13 pm

I haven't been able to get legolas's routing table to include entries about the 172.30.4.0/24 network (or the 192.168.2.8/30 network for that matter). I've checked everything I can think of.

1. ip_forward = 1 on all routers
2. zebra.conf and ripd.conf are set up and their services are running
3. I just can't get legolas to learn about his non-directly connected interfaces (the other routers don't know abou their non-directly connected interfaces either)
4. I believe I have all the other configuration parameters set up correctly. Every router can ping the things it's supposed to be able to ping, and not ping the things that they're not supposed to be able to ping.

What could I be missing, on Part V: step 6. The lab shows what the output *should* be from "route -n" on legolas, but I'm not getting the new, bold entries.

It seems like RIP isn't happening. Routes aren't getting propagated. I turned on the sniffer VM and spy on VmNet3, which is the network containing Legolas's eth0 and Elron'd eth0, and while I can see pings go by, I don't see any RIP traffic. I do see the ripd process with a "ps -e" and I see that the port 520 is being used from "netstat -nlp".

Any ideas? Sorry for the wall-of-text
Kayla Smith

Re: lab 4 routing table

Postby Kayla Smith on Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:21 pm

I might have figured something out. When I "telnet localhost 2601" to get into Quagga, and I type "show run", I can see that my configs from my ripd.conf did not get sucked into the running config.

The permissions on my ripd.conf file are as specified in the lab. And I have tried stopping and restarting the ripd service (and stopping and restarting the network service)

Is there a trick to getting quagga to use your conf files?
Kayla Smith

Postby Jonathan Simms on Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:43 pm

Kayla,

To clarify- are you able to get RIP routing working on arwen and elrond? or is it just not working on legolas?
Jonathan Simms

Postby Rich Simms on Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:45 pm

When you stop and start quagga, always start zebra first and shut it down last.

edit config files

service zebra start
service ripd start

service ripd stop
service zebra stop

edit config files

service zebra start
service ripd start

Some things to check:
1) Firewall has UDP 520 Open? (Lesson 4 slide 65)
2) Are you getting any RIP bad packets (Lesson 4 slide 31)

- Rich
Rich Simms
Site Admin

Postby Kayla Smith on Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:32 pm

I may not have been as rigorous as you've described in the order in which I stopped and started those services. I could try adhering to that more closely.

I didn't see any RIP traffic at all, good or bad. I believe the reason for this is that my ripd.conf isn't getting into quagga.

As for the firewall, I did open up port 520, UDP on each router. But I did reboot those machines, now that I think of it. Could you say whether the port opening is permanent? That might be my problem.
Kayla Smith

Postby Rich Simms on Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:21 pm

Can you see (with Sniffer VM) any RIPv2 packets on any of the VMnets between the routers?

Also, for ripd, telnet localhost 2602 and use [b]show ip rip status[/b] and [b]show ip rip[/b] to see what the ripd daemon thinks is going on.

You can check the firewall with [b]iptables -nL[/b] and look for:
ACCEPT udp -- 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 state NEW udp dpt:520

- Rich
Rich Simms
Site Admin

Return to CIS 192 - Spring 2009