[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/db/dbal.php on line 110: Undefined array key "cached"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/db/dbal.php on line 111: Undefined array key "normal"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/db/dbal.php on line 112: Undefined array key "total"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 885: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 885: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3391: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3393: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3394: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3395: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
Cabrillo College Linux Classes • View topic - Consistent way to name backup files

Consistent way to name backup files

Introduction to UNIX/Linux

Consistent way to name backup files

Postby ollie wright on Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:42 pm

I'm starting to think about how to keep my backup files with names that let me know when I did them and allow wildcard manipulation in the future. I decided that I would use a period, 4 character year and 3 character day of year. For example, the "owtools" file I backed up has the name "owtools.2008343" (this is the 343 day of 2008). The command to do this is:

cp -i owtools `date '+owtools.%Y%j'`

If anyone can come up with a way to wildcard this (owtools*) so I could do them all at once, that would be great.

Thanks..
ollie wright

Re: Consistent way to name backup files

Postby Michael Wicherski on Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:00 am

should check out a perl script called cid

we used to use it for one of my older classes, it's very effective and easy

can do batch backups, and although it doesn't state in the file name the date it was modified, you can request that info about any of the backup files throgu a cid command
Michael Wicherski

Postby ollie wright on Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:54 am

I took a perl class a long time ago. I will have to see if it got installed along with ubuntu on my computer. If not, that is on the schedule for the next FLUG meeting. I've got PHP, MySql and Apache. Can you recommend a good Linux web authoring program?

Thanks..Ollie
ollie wright

Postby Michael Wicherski on Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:48 pm

i have no idea; i don't really use linux outside of this class

might be something to ask about at the FLUG meeting or something
Michael Wicherski

Return to CIS 90 - Fall 2008