[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/db/dbal.php on line 110: Undefined array key "cached"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/db/dbal.php on line 111: Undefined array key "normal"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/db/dbal.php on line 112: Undefined array key "total"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 885: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 885: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3391: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3393: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3394: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3395: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
Cabrillo College Linux Classes • View topic - Putty on 2 adjacent computers

Putty on 2 adjacent computers

Introduction to UNIX/Linux

Putty on 2 adjacent computers

Postby ollie wright on Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:52 am

I have 2 computers next to each other. One is running Windows Vista and has Putty installed. The other is running Ubuntu. Is there any way I can use Putty to access my Ubuntu computer similar to how I access opus?
ollie wright

Re: Putty on 2 adjacent computers

Postby Lyle Bergerson on Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:53 am

You should be able to. If you have a home network setup I think you should just be able to use the machine name or IP address to connect. Try entering the name or IP address of you Ubuntu system in the Host Name box of Putty. Then try to login using the account that you would normally use.
Lyle Bergerson

Postby ollie wright on Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:44 pm

I have not got my Vista/Xp network working correctly yet. My Vista will see the others, but the others can't see the Vista. I have spent a lot of time with Msoft on this, but still no resolution. Since my Vista can see the other, it should be no problem in this case.

Question: How do I get the IP address of the machine running Linux?

Thanks for the help.
ollie wright

Postby Lyle Bergerson on Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:56 pm

You can try to ping the Ubuntu machine from your machine running Vista. Try pinging it by name and it should return an IP address with it. You can also log into the router to identify the Ubuntu machine by name and IP.

You might still have to install Samba in order to get the Ubuntu machine networked properly. Check this out:

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Feisty#Samba_Server

I configure a shared folder on my Ubuntu machine like this (if you want a shared folder):

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Feis ... on.3DNo.29

The guide is a couple of versions old but I've found it to be dead on as far as getting the Ubuntu machine networked and a shared folder created.
Lyle Bergerson

Postby Rich Simms on Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:04 pm

Marc, a student in the CIS 191B, just published this howto which will help you out:

[url]http://simms-teach.com/howtos/students/putty-romansky.html[/url]

Marc did the Howto for Linux VM's however it is just the same for a physical Linux systems.

Ubuntu does not install a ssh server by default so you will need to install the openssh-server package. See:

[url]http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/ubuntu-linux-openssh-server-installation-and-configuration/[/url]

- Rich
Rich Simms
Site Admin

Postby ollie wright on Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:28 am

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions.

Ollie
ollie wright

Postby ollie wright on Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:06 pm

On my Ubuntu computer I can SSH to opus. Do I have to have something else for someone to SSH to me?

I can ping my ubuntu computer from Vista but when I try to use putty, I get this PuTTY fatal error message: "Network error: Connection refused".

If I try to ping my Ubuntu computer when it is running XP, I get a "request timed out" message and no packets received.

I'll keep plugging away.
ollie wright

Postby Lyle Bergerson on Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:51 am

Did you get this working Ollie?
Lyle Bergerson

Postby ollie wright on Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:29 pm

Not yet. Worked on getting my network printer working using CUPS. Then decided to look at my test notes and see if they worked. Some of what I wrote down in my class notes does not work, such as:

Question 8.
I know "ps" is right, but I have "ps - us" which is wrong. There must have been something is class that made me write it down.
Question 9.
Control f will waken it, but control z, which I thought would put it back to sleep, does not seem to do anything.
Question 10.
my notes say "sleep 20 &;sleep 20 & job"
I don't really understand the question and I have no idea what the commands I wrote down are supposed to do.
Question 13.
I have "ps aux | grep $LOGNAME kill -9 <pid>" which makes no intuitive sense to me.
Question 14.
I have :at 11:59 am echo "time for tea" | mail -s "reminder" $LOGNAME"
I get messages that the time format is not right, there us no body and a lot of mail with just "reminder" and no body. I would have tried "teatime" but I wanted instant feedback.

I tried all of my other answers and they seemed to work. My script (q 31) works.
ollie wright

Return to CIS 90 - Fall 2008