[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/db/dbal.php on line 110: Undefined array key "cached"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/db/dbal.php on line 111: Undefined array key "normal"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/db/dbal.php on line 112: Undefined array key "total"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 885: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 885: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3391: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3393: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3394: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3395: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
Cabrillo College Linux Classes • View topic - Miscellaneous questions

Miscellaneous questions

Introduction to UNIX/Linux

Miscellaneous questions

Postby ollie wright on Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:10 am

I have some tweeking to get my Ubuntu computer working properly and these are some of the questions that have come up:

[list]What is the file that has the programs that automatically start up at boot time? I don't mean where we put programs that start when a user logs in.[/list:u]
[list]What are the recommended additions to the path to accomodate user level needs?[/list:u]
[list]Apache,MySql and PHP were installed after Ubuntu. Should they be added to the path?[/list:u]
[list]Is there any time I would have to log in as root, and how do I do it. The person helping me do the Ubuntu installation did not mention another password.[/list:u]
[list]The way linux is set up in opus is great. Is there any way we could get a disk, install it and have the same thing without all the fussing around that Ubuntu is going to take to get it working the way I want it? This does not have to be 'freebe' solution.[/list:u]

Thanks..Ollie
ollie wright

Re: Miscellaneous questions

Postby Lyle Bergerson on Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:44 am

I have used ubuntuforums.org in the past to find answers to Ubuntu specific questions and more. It's a pretty good forum.

You have to login as root in order to install software, update the system, access files that you don't normally have permissions to etc. From the command line you use sudo followed by your password in order to gain root access. If the person that did the installation for you did not tell you otherwise the root password is probably the same password that you used to login to the system.
Lyle Bergerson

Re: Miscellaneous questions

Postby ollie wright on Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:47 pm

Thanks.. I was just using sudo and the command I wanted to run.
ollie wright

Return to CIS 90 - Fall 2008